Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Is Leftover Wine Even A Possibility?

Hi foodies

I bring this subject up today as over the weekend I made one of my indulgently delicious recipes "The Girls' Fave Pasta"; which I aptly named as it is a couple of my girls' favourite pasta dish! However this recipe only requires about 3/4 cup of white wine, and since I cannot enjoy a glass, or a bottle, and my fiance is not a wine man, that often leaves me with leftover wine. This is the part where wine connoisseurs everywhere can gasp...But us regular people can sleep well at night knowing it is OK if you keep a bottle of red or white in the fridge for cooking, for even up to a month! You just want to keep it as fresh as possible and not turn to vinegar, HA. Most companies are even going the twisted cap route which seals freshness even better. If it's of the cork variety, I re-cork the bottle if I know I will be using it within the weeks to come, and sometimes even put a little plastic wrap with an elastic band to help with any other possible air leaks.

Another cool tip, excuse the pun, is filling an ice tray or two with the left over wine of your choice, and freezing it in batches, then putting them in a resealable plastic bag for use anytime you need a few tablespoons of wine to deglaze your pan or add some complexity to a stew or sauce etc. One thing you always want to keep in mind when cooking with wine is buy something affordable, but something you would enjoy drinking; after all it's going in your food and it is almost always being reduced, meaning the flavours are being concentrated and thus more powerful. As a foodie I always like to have at least a bottle of inexpensive white wine in the house to add to an array of dishes; it just adds so much, with just a little turn around the pan; and I am not afraid to hold my leftover wine in the fridge and freezer. Remember people, we are not taking that same bottle you cooked with after a few days, putting it in our best crystal and swirling and sniffing with our guests. Save that for the bottle your guests brought you for making such a lovely meal  ; )

Happy Eating
xoxo


                                                                                  "The Girls' Fave Pasta"

2 comments: