Thursday, August 16, 2012

Is It Harder To Lose/Maintain Your Weight In The Warmer Months?

Hello everyone

So here in B.C it is supposed to be sunny and 35 degrees today! That is definitely hot for our Province, but thankfully we have so many ways to go out and enjoy such beautiful weather. Unless we are out on the lakes, beaches, hiking trails or some sort of active area in this heat, friends and couples usually flock to the countless Vancouver air conditioned restaurants and pubs. This is where watching your waistline may go out the window. I am all for gathering with friends and loved ones, effortlessly enjoying food and some lovely cocktails BUT boy can those appetizers and drinks catch up to you. Unless you are being conscientious and making health minded options of food and drink, you can consume days worth of calories in one sitting, thus those days of building your bikini ready body may be in peril as the pounds build up as well. Now that I have terrified most of you (I'm kidding) let's discuss how to avoid the negative effects of having some fun while out.

Many people find it much easier to get fit in the Spring and Summer months, and this can be very true; but all your hard work can be sabotaged by what you do after  your workout. Post workout, you need to re-fuel your body; try and have items accessible so that you can make the best decision possible. A snack like a piece of whole grain toast with some peanut butter and banana slices, and a glass of low fat milk would be great. You would be replenishing your body with whole grains, protein, and vitamins for a great post workout come back, leaving you less vulnerable to bad food decision making : )

Don't be afraid to get to those God sends (Central Air) restaurants and pubs with the people you love. Spring and summer is a great opportunity for get- togethers and good, well deserved laugh sessions. Just don't eat and drink mindlessly; there are so many different options to choose from that can make such a huge difference in caloric, fat, and sodium intake. Choose something delicious though, otherwise you will just be tempted to binge later. Don't forget hydration; keep the lemon water flowing as much as those cocktails ; ) I know most great restaurants won't show you nutritional information, but a great tip I like to do is know where I'm going ahead of time. I don't know if it's because I'm a foodie or impatient, but I just have to check out the menu of where I am going to go. I often choose what I want before I even get there. If you take a quick look at the online menu, if available, it can help you make better decisions....but don't obsess too much, you are going out for some fun after all!

Do you guys find it difficult to lose/maintain your weight in the warmer months?

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Maggie! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those gals who gains weight, all the time, despite the time of year. I LOVE beer in the summer, which is horrendous for your waistline and in winter I crave things like pasta, stews and rich foods.

    I just love food.

    xo

    ReplyDelete