Wednesday, August 4, 2010

No Citrus in Sight.....Afternoon Delight?!

So, today my very good friend, fabulous author of redlipglossandheels.ca, and official “guinea pig” came over to visit me. While having a fabulous chat, I asked if she would care for some wine that I had leftover from the braised beef ribs I was preparing. I then immediately switched my offer to Sangria. I thought it would be so much more suitable, as it was super hot this afternoon. I typically like to include orange and other citrus in my Sangria, but I was fresh out. I decided to try a new concoction on her; muddled strawberry and white nectarine……mmmmm now is the time that I SO wish I could drink : ( I added a little of this, and a little of that, and set in the fridge to chill. When my BFF Odette joined Christina and me, I poured a beautiful fuchsia- glass full for each of them to try. They loved it; it was an instant summer hit! Not too shabby for a last minute experiment huh? Interested in this fabulously refreshing cocktail? Try it out following my recipe below. Cheers!

Ingredients

½ a bottle of Shiraz, or any wine you like
8 large strawberries
2 nectarines (any flesh colour is fine)
2 tbsps.sugar
1 container of your favourite prepared juice from concentrate. I prefer a berry flavour


Directions
1. Prepare the juice in a large jug
2. Add the wine to the juice
2. Puree one nectarine in a blender or food processor. I use my Magic Bullet.
3. “Muddle” or smash ½ the strawberries with the sugar. If your strawberries are firm you may also puree them with the nectarine and sugar, then strain thru a fine sieve into the mixture.
4. Stir to combine
5. Slice the remaining nectarine and strawberries and add to the mix.
6. Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour

Note: You may add as much fruit as you desire, this is just a “road map” for you to follow. And of course, depending on the sweetness of the fruit, you may add more sugar if needed. Also, feel free to add or substitute any summer fruit you like; trust me it will be delicious no matter what. As I always say, taste as you go; it’s the most important thing.

2 comments:

  1. Margaret, it was absolutely smashing. Very very delicious. Oh, and another thing....your dinner last night was soooo amazing. When you have time to slip that recipe to me, I would be forever in your debt.....oh, and Allan would adore you too....HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmhmm it was yummy Margle! and Christina it was fancy meeting you! Felt like I've known you for years!

    Margle put up the recipes, I cant wait for more recipes to go up !! oo so ladies when are we having risotto??

    ReplyDelete