Friday, August 6, 2010

Golden Sweet, Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins.

Ok, so I’m in such a bitter mood because for the past few days I have been feeling extra horrible. For some reason, I find cooking others food, and testing recipes on them so soothing, especially when I feel like cooking but don’t feel like eating. Thus, you will find my cornbread recipe below. I don’t know why, but I have never made it before and have been dying to all week. I don’t know about you guys but I love a sweet cornbread; not dessert- sweet but savoury- sweet. I did some research on cornbread recipes and tweaked them to create my own; golden and sweet, buttermilk cornbread muffins. For the first time making it I was a little leery, but after trying a bite my BFF Odette and I were shocked by how delicious it was. Next time you are under the weather or simply in a bad mood; get in the kitchen and experiment. It is a a stress reliever and the outcome will always be great : )

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup of sugar
3 tbsps. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 cup of buttermilk
1/3 cup of canola oil

Directions
1.Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
2.Line a muffin tin with paper inserts, or lightly oil the tin.
3.In a bowl sift together all of the dry ingredients
4.In another bowl mix together the egg, buttermilk and oil. Then add to dry ingredients.
5.Gently mix to combine for about 1 minute. It should look like a really thick pancake batter. Be sure not to over mix or you will get tough corn-muffins. Also I simply mixed it together with a whisk, but you can use an electric mixer.
6.Bake in the oven until puffy and golden brown. Check on them after about 10 minutes and insert a toothpick in the center of the muffin. As soon as it comes out clean, take them out.

Note: The baking time can vary as all ovens are different; so be sure to check the muffins with the toothpick method after about 10 minutes, to ensure they don’t overcook. In a regular size muffin tin, this recipe should only bake for about12-15 minutes. If you are using a cake pan, it may take 20-25 minutes to bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment